Pages

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Review: I can't keep my own secrets

I can't keep my own secrets: six-word memoirs by teens famous and obscure edited by SMITH Magazine

"Insert melodramatic cliche-teen ick here." - Jordan E. (p. 161)*

Not quite: comprised of hundreds of six-word memoirs, I can't keep my own secrets is a quick and thoughtful read. By turns hilarious and harrowing, reflective and revealing, the brief memoirs offer a glimpse into the lives of teens.

There is something for just about everyone in here: drugs, family, beliefs, death, sexual identity, family, school, and more are all topics found in the memoirs. I don't really know what else to say, except to share some examples:

"You made me stronger. Thanks, rapist." - Alyssa Z. (p. 82)
"I really don't mind being autistic." - Lisa D. (p. 54)
"Some days sucked. Sun still rose." - Mary H. (p. 141)
"Not your average teen angst bullshit." - Amanda L. (p. 30)

Indeed.

4 stars out of 5 for I can't keep my own secrets.

*This review is based on an advanced reader's copy (ARC) that I received from HarperTeen. As such, page numbers cited may not be the same in the final publication.

No comments: