Pages

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Review: Peeps

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

Cal is a vampire. Well, okay, not quite - he's a carrier for the parasite that causes humans to become cannibals, avoid sunlight and shun everything they ever enjoyed, which means he can infect other people and make them become vampires. Cal also hunts vampires for a living in New York City, and when he starts tracking down the girl who infected him less than a year ago, things start to get strange...very strange, and very ominous.

Cal was a believable character with vices and weaknesses despite his superhuman powers, and I liked that the story was told from his point of view. I liked this book a lot actually (a recurring theme with me and Scott Westerfeld novels - and me and vampire novels, come to that). I especially liked the tidbits about different parasites every couple of chapters, and the fact that I couldn't guess what was going on until Cal did. A well-kept mystery is quite satisfying.

4.5 stars out of 5 for Peeps.

No comments: